Google
 

A Wild Dish

In honor of the upcoming fall turkey hunting season I located a delicious wild turkey/wild rice recipe. Perfect for the wild woodswoman (or man) to cook up! There's more where I found this one at The Wild Turkey Zone.


Wild Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole
4 cups diced, cooked turkey
2 cups wild rice
2 cups brown rice
5 cups chicken broth
2 cans chicken broth
4 Tbsp. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese (grated)
1 lb. sliced mushrooms

1 pint heavy cream
1 tsp butter
2 cups chopped celery
1 can sliced water chestnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine wild rice, brown rice and 5 cups chicken broth and cook the rice until done. In mixing bowl, toss rice, wild turkey, and mushrooms. Add cream, butter, celery, water chestnuts, 2 cans chicken broth, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour into baking dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 1 hour.

And then you can make Berry Pie for dessert!

9 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Mmmmm Wild Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole...
Yummy.....................

Kristine said...

That sounds really good. Bet it would work with store bought turkey too.

Dana said...

Yes Kristine, you can prepare wild & domestic turkeys in the same recipes - sorry, I assumed everyone knew that. But buying the turkey at the store defeats the whole "wild" theme though, so try to save my "wild" recipe for the wild turkeys!! Ha ha!

Arthur said...

Sounds sweet. When should I come over and what time is dinner?

darrell said...

Made my mouth water just reading about it! Few things are as tasty as wild turkey (the bird not the beverage).

Dana said...

Arthur - dinner is going to be at 7:00 pm sharp the day after I shoot the turkey - stay tuned.
Darell - there's a beverage named Wild Turkey??

Kristine said...

We're having dinner? I definitely want in on that. I'll even bring dessert.

Phillip said...

Darell - there's a beverage named Wild Turkey??

Heh heh... one of my favorites... although it does hurt my head more than it used to.

Shades of Bocephus? "Hangovers, hurt more than they used to..."

Bryan said...

I love wild turkey! As my dad says, "A lot of people expect venison to taste like beef...but it's not a cow. However, a turkey is a turkey...and wild turkey is much leaner!"