Google
 

Notable Outdoor Women - Julie Kay Smithson

Outdoor Life Magazine just came out with "The Outdoor Life 25 - People Who Changed the Face of Hunting & Fishing" in the December/January 2008 issue. In it they recognize two women, Julie Kay Smithson and Jennie Richardson (more on Jennie here). I wanted to provide you more information and links on these notable outdoor women!


Julie Kay Smithson is noted as an unsung hero for her devotion to the cause of property rights. After a run-in with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service regarding an endangered species on her land, she tutored herself on the issues of land-use, and environmental and endangered species. Since then she has been educating landowners and sportsmen through her research and website PropertyRightsResearch.Org
As you look through her website, you will realize that Julie takes very polarizing stances on specific subjects. You will likely agree wholeheartedly, or will be vehemently opposed to what she is saying. She's an interesting selection for Outdoor Life to add to their list - I doubt that she will be admired by the majority. She could serve however as a great resource for those who are struggling with land rights.
Unfortunately, I have to veer toward being opposed to her views. Specifically, I cannot agree with her comment on her website that "Climate change, i.e., 'global warming' OR 'global cooling,' has virtually zilch to do with production of so-called 'greenhouse gases'." Such disregard for the extensive research and intelligence of independent scientists world-wide, who state that humans are in fact accelerating the climate change, is an extremely arrogant and "cause-centric" stance and it makes her look foolish. I certainly would select her as an expert on land use rights, but I highly doubt that she's also a climatologist experienced in current climate research and theory.

5 comments:

SimplyOutdoors said...

I think there are independent scientists that would back her claim as well. Definitely a hot button issue no matter what side you are on.

She is an interesting pick for Outdoor Life. At least she took a stand against something she believed in, regardless if people think she is right or wrong.

Merry Christmas!

Julie Kay Smithson said...

Dana, while I'm sure you meant well, my name is Julie Kay Smithson. The header, "Notable Outdoor Women - Julie Kay Richardson," is thus, wrong and should be corrected to show my last name as Smithson.

Also, my website and efforts focus on property rights research ("land rights" carry very little legal clout -- knowing the difference between "land" and "property" is very important).

SimplyOutdoors comment is appreciated. No matter what stand one takes, there are always others who will take opposing views.

My nomination for the Outdoor Life "OL25" was something of which I was totally unaware until after the selection. While it is flattering to be so honored, my efforts are largely out of the public eye. I do not seek the limelight, but rather to provide information, copiously researched, that people can employ to empower themselves to protect their own property rights. My home is in Ohio's Amish and Mennonite farm country.

Thank you for including me in this blog.

Dana @ The Wild WoodsWoman said...

Hi Julie,
Thanks for pointing that out - I got my notable women's last names mixed up - it's fixed now. I'm thrilled that you found my l'il blog and responded! SimplyOutdoors is right that it is great that you've taken a stand on an issue that's a "hot button" to you. I'm happy that there are women (not just men) who are out there doing that. As you can probably tell from my post, some environmental issues are my "hot button"!! I do agree that property rights are important and the volume of research you have completed is truly amazing.

Julie Kay Smithson said...

Julie Kay Smithson here on my website's sixth birthday, with over 6,700,000 first-time visitors (and many times that many return and daily visitors) to a website with no advertising! Please note that Dana's reference to "hot buttons" does not reflect my comments or the tone of my website. Every comment I make is made only after a vast amount of research, which utilizes data from many important sources. Since my website is about property rights research, its focus is not on climate change other than as climate change relates to property rights. To that end, scientists are found in great numbers on both sides of the coin. However, people have only been keeping climatological data/records for less than 130 years, and our ability to keep accurate records shows how much we have yet to learn. For example, weather stations set up in dozens of locations within a certain area will provide dozens of results, from temperature and humidity to varying precipitation and wind speed and direction. Cooling and warming are cyclical and have been ongoing since the beginning. They do not fluctuate wildly in such a short measuring time span. Please just note that my average of twelve hours a day, each and every day, on research, precludes visiting blogs and commenting. You may do a Google search for "Julie Kay Smithson" and find some of my writings, but of far greater importance is the researched, verified and posted information to be found at my website. Thanks for your time and know that I believe 2008 will be Great!

Michelle Rene said...

Dana, I think it is great that you can be opposed to someone's views on one topic, yet still make note of their accomplishements in another area. There are not a lot of people who are capable of separating issues like this.

Thanks for writing another interesting entry.